Instant Messaging as a Platform for Recruitment
Since the first jobboards started to appear in the early internet era (Usenet, Gopher), the pattern remains roughly the same: a jobseeker had to open a specific board, a usenet group or a webpage, then actively look for a job position he/she was interested in, then send the application via email, a webform, or sometimes even with a standard post. It all was very similar to the traditional newspaper jobsearch pattern.
Since the mobile era (year 2000+) dedicated apps started to appear, yet it was still the same pattern with each jobboard having it’s own enviroment, userflow, and interface. Add to that the matching job notifications and the end result is a mess for an active jobseeker.
Is there a chance we could have a different approach to this?
Why don’t we try to predict „the next big thing”?
„The next big thing” is chat & voice.
Where did that all come from?
First Siri said “Hello”…
…then it was Magic…
…and FB bots started to appear.
Rise of inteligent personal assistants
All key players in Silicon Valley are investing in AI powered assistants:
- Siri (Apple)
- Google Now & Google Assistant
- Cortana (Microsoft)
- Facebook Bots
- Stealth ‘Jarvis like’ project from Mark Zuckerberg
- Viv (SIRI’s younger, more intelligent sister)
In near future people will use services thought AI powered assistants with greatly reduced GUI (Voice or text based).
Why it’s becoming so popular?
Because we all use it every day.
Everyone has their own favourite way on messaging. No matter if it’s Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Telegram, Google Talk or even old “oldschool” SMS.
Total time spent daily using a smartphone and activity share
of mobile usage time spent on texting in various forms (SMS, IM).
How the jobboards usually handle communication with jobseekers
One way communication
User initiated or initiated by a Job alert
Candidate has to actively look for a job
Job notifications on candidate email – requires from candidate to actively read, think and act
Solution: Instant messaging bot using AI algorythms
Let’s create new channel where candidates can search, be notified and apply for their next job in intuitive text based interface.
Based on natural language
Using well known messaging apps (Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Skype, etc)
AI algorythms are widely available (for commercial and non-commercial purposes)
Benefits for users
- Saves time and energy and possibly money (much less data required – crucial on mobile devices)
- Learns about you (profile refinement based on applications and additional input from user)
- Is everywhere with you – on mobile and desktop – we’re hooking up to existing platforms and services, and support cross-device user tracking
- Use app that they already have installed
- Use app they know inside out
- Use interaction we’re all most familiar with – conversation (natural language)
- Focus on task, as automated and clutter free as possible
- Duplex (bi-directional) communication
- Connecting user’s favourite instant messaging app to recruiter board account and letting personalised virtual assistant handle job search.
- Instant notification and feedback – “job published x minutes ago” – challenge and engage candidates
- Extra content that might be exclusive to instant messaging channel
- Behavioural data (time, device – cross device tracking, journey through the day)
Here’s an example conversation
If you liked the concept, let me know, maybe we can build something together too!